Saturday 13 July 2013

Rates of Exchange

We'll be overseas later in the year, and we'll need to have some euros in cash.  It would have been better to have bought them a couple of months back, but I didn't, so I'm accumulating a few now just in case the Australian dollar falls even further.   Walking around the city, I noticed the following rates (to sell currency notes) on offer:
  • Bank C - 0.6566 (and a fee?   Not sure).  This is also the rate used to upload funds on to their "Travel Money Card" product --- but plus another 1% (capped at $15).
  • Bank A - 0.6635 (note sure if there's a fee in addition, this was the ATM rate)
  • Bank B of M - 0.6641 (this was later in the day)
  • Booth in Elizabeth St - 0.6729 (no fee)
  • Travelex - 0.65 (plus a fee!)
  • Booth in Flinders Lane - 0.6847 (no fee).

On a purchase of €200, that's a difference of something over $15 (plus any fee) between the highest and lowest.  I reckon it's worth walking around the corner for that!

2 comments:

  1. Do want have access to mobile phone? I recently bought a single country sim from mobi http://mobipassport.com/
    Then to my astonishment I received a 180 country sim gratis, with a UK (44) number, from Rail Europe. The originator is very coy, and it sounds to be too good to be true- I'm only investigating because of the source of receipt; but this seems to be one of its websites: http://www.ekit.com/userguides/ekglobal_uk_en.pdf
    Perhaps the days of the great telco roaming ripoff are coming to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, mobile phones....we're not big users of voice overseas, but I do like to have internet access for my notebook. I usually get by on the wi fi that many (but not all) hotels provide.

    ReplyDelete