Monday 12 August 2013

Street trees

I know that the local Council is far from perfect, but in one respect, it's quite good.  This is in relation to the planting of street trees.    It's quite conscientious about replacing trees that die or are vandalised, and regularly takes the initiative to fill in gaps.  The program appears to have been in full swing in recent weeks.

The Council's choice of trees used to baffle me a little, and I once asked at a ward meeting about this aspect.    It was explained to me that, while of course hardy trees are favoured, the policy is to plant trees that are consistent with the "as-built" character of the immediate area, and this meant that quite a number of varieties are used (including some tough plane trees!).


I was interested in the Council's comments on watering street trees - a little water is appreciated in dry weather but don't put too much on them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment