Saturday 31 August 2013

AFIC

We've got shares in Australian Foundation Investment Co, and the annual review and details of this year's AGM have just arrived.
I see that Stephen Mayne is standing for election as a director.   Now, I have a lot of respect for Stephen, although I think he spreads himself way too thin, trying to cover too many causes.   I haven't seen his statement as to why he wants to stand as a director of AFIC, but given that he's a "self-described shareholder activist", and AFIC has large shareholdings in many companies, it doesn't seem to take too much effort to "join the dots".

Yes, shareholder activism indeed has its place, and I'm all for it.   But there's a time and place for everything.  AFIC is functioning nicely just the way it is, although it's sad to see Don Argus and Bruce Teele retiring.   I don't think the board of AFIC is the place for Stephen's type of activism!

No comments:

Post a Comment