Wednesday 1 May 2013

"Good" restaurants

I see that Attica in Ripponlea been ranked as one of the world's top 50 restaurants (at number 21) in the "World's 50 Best Restaurants"  (as published by Restaurant Magazine) (report here), with only one other restaurant in Australia being in this group (at number 48).

Full credit to Attica for achieving this distinction, but I'm not sure that this has much relevance to me. For one thing,  I assume there are all sorts of lists of "good" restaurants, and in the case of this particular list, the more members of the "Academy" of voters that the restaurant serves, the better are its chances.

But returning to the issue:  I guess the question is, what does one look for in a restaurant?   Ambiance, service and so on, yes, but also food you can eat and enjoy.    I guess it's clear that I don't qualify as  a "foodie", who (as I understand it) looks for taste sensations, unusual techniques and flavours and a "wow" presentation.  Attica's chef's inclination to "the foraged and found, the wild and the woolly" apparently helps his cause.

Potato cooked for 12 hours in the earth in which it was grown
Good on Attica for doing well in their world.  However, with no disrespect to them, I  looked through their gallery, and I have to say that I wasn't on my way as soon as possible to Ripponlea.  I'll leave it to others to eat "Potato cooked in the earth it was grown" [sic, I guess chefs don't have to have great grammar], "Walnut in its shell" and suchlike.

No comments:

Post a Comment