Friday 22 November 2013

Raisins and Almonds

I recently commented on one of Kerry Greenwood's Miss Fisher books (Urn Burial) and although I was a little cool on that occasion, when I came across Raisins and Almonds, I thought I'd give Ms Greenwood - and Miss Fisher - another chance.  This was particularly in light of the fact that the Miss Fisher series on ABC TV is apparently very well regarded by some, although I haven't seen any it.  This isn't surprising as, apart from the news, I watch very little TV.

Raisins and Almonds isn't new (it was first published in 1997) and is about a murder in Melbourne's Eastern Market in the 1920s.  The mystery requires Miss Fisher to engage closely with the Jewish community.    I was more impressed with this book than with Urn Burial, particularly as the author has obviously researched not only Melbourne's geography of the era but also the Jewish community of the era.  I can't speak about the accuracy of the latter (although a list of sources is set out), but certainly her description of Melbourne's geography and in particular the 1920s Eastern Market rings true.   I have very early childhood memories of the Eastern Market before it was replaced by the then ultra-modern Southern Cross Hotel.  To think that the Southern Cross Hotel (where the Beatles stayed when they came to Melbourne)- has in turn been replaced by an office building.  But I digress.....

Apart from this, the Miss Fisher theme is there:   a dalliance (I can live without this aspect, but perhaps these things are expected of modern authors?) and several separate threads to be unravelled.    Of course, Miss Fisher sorts everything out.  It just seems all too easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment