Friday 1 November 2013

Halloween

I know that I posted about Halloween last year, also here.   I admit that I remain a little uncertain about it .   As Wikipedia tells us, it's the eve of the Christian feast of All Hallows' Day and the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed.  However - like other Christian festivals - it probably has pagan roots, and I suppose my issue with it is that it seems that it's these roots that are in the ascendancy today.

But, be that as it may, perhaps it's not a big issue, so I just "go with the flow", like everyone else, without worrying too much about  its significance, whatever that may be.   The kids have fun, and the supervising parents seem to get into the swing of things, too.  One parent even thoughtfully gave us a handful of sweets - because there was a big group following!
 


I lost count of how many children came to the door - but we exhausted our supply of sweets, as well as the reserve stock, well before the last of the children had departed from the street!

No comments:

Post a Comment