Saturday 4 January 2014

Bunga Haven

I have been occupying some of my time while at the beach reading Bunga Haven on Lake Bunga – an East Gippsland Idyll. This is a local history by a friend who is a foundation member of the co-operative that now owns the house, Krystyna Thomas.

“Bunga Haven” is a house 5 km east of Lakes Entrance that has been used as a residence and a guest house at different times since 1885, and is now owned by a small co-operative.

While I am not familiar with the area described in the book, I was greatly impressed by the amount of work that obviously went into it (as indeed is the case with most histories of this type). As well as telling us the history of the actual house, and its owners and occupiers over the years, we learn about matters such as
the geological history of the area and aspects of the indigenous occupation. Of course there are numerous anecdotes and photographs, and it's all weaved together  most readably.    Naturally it will be most meaningful for those who are associated with Bunga Haven, but even though I am an "outsider", I enjoyed it too.

1 comment:

  1. Etymological interest - Any connection with Bunga Bunga?

    ReplyDelete