Thursday 19 December 2013

Scoopon - and Rococo Lane

We had lunch at Rococco Lane in Beatty Avenue (in Armadale North) a little while ago.

I overhead the staff talking about coupons.   I did a little research and found out that there are "coupon deals" available here.   It looked as though  the coupons come from "Scoopon".    I was just slightly put out that we'd missed an opportunity, although on reflection,  we use the Dine-Out book, so I don't suppose we can complain too much.    However, it prompted me to look at the Scoopon site, but it all seemed just so hard.  I was particularly put off by the fact that it was hard to get past the demand that I provide an email address, and when I did get into it without giving an email address,  the site was a mis-mash of offers with so much "stuff" to trawl through, etc etc.   Hence, it didn't come as a surprise to me to hear that Scoopon were in the news for all the wrong reasons (and also here):    they have been fined $1 million for deceptive conduct.   While it's true that some of the problems appear to have concerned what they told businesses, the nature of their website left me with the impression that it was sort of operation where things could "go wrong" - as apparently they have. 

Just for the record, what did we think of Rococa Lane?   There's some tough competition down there (Rouge and Amalia, in particular) and at least one regular in the area had suggested that Rococo Lane suffered by comparison.  And if an establishment has to resort to coupon deals, does that say something about it? But perhaps we were lucky, as our experience was positive.    Our lunch there was great (an all-day breakfast egg dish and the gnocchi), and the coffees were up to standard as well (even though they had run out of soy).   Prices?  Well, this isn't a "cheap eats" part of town, and in that regard Rococo Lane was about  in line with its neighbours!

No comments:

Post a Comment