Wednesday 11 December 2013

Getting used to a new camera

My new camera is the same brand as my previous camera, so it was quite straight-forward to operate, at least in "point-and-click" mode.  Of course, it has quite a number of additional options, which I am gradually familiarising myself with.   But one early action required was to be adjust the size of the file.  I quickly found out that the default file size of the images is quite large (some are over 5 MB!), being the price you pay for high-resolution images.   However, they take a long time to upload to the internet (as I need to do, for example, when inserting an image into this blog), so for everyday use, I have contented myself with a lesser size.

Another early impression was that  the battery life is pretty woeful.  The reviews had mentioned this, so it wasn't a surprise, but I had been living in hope.  Presumably use of the zoom in particular  shortens the time between re-charges.  I turned the GPS function off, but this didn't seem to make much difference.   I quickly got  a spare battery so that I'm not left short. This is a "compatible", which although it cost $30 is more reasonable that the Canon battery (nearly $80).   Even if it doesn't have the same capacity as a "genuine" battery (notwithstanding the sales talk when I bought it!), it ought to be sufficient to get through the rest of the day until I can re-charge.

I was interested to read a review in Choice magazine of various cameras in the category that I bought.  Isn't it so often the way - this information only comes to hand after you've made the purchase?     The one I bought was somewhere in the middle of the field.   One of the things I have noticed with my purchase is that the controls can be a bit "fiddly" at times, but I notice from Choice's review that none of the cameras in this category rate highly in this respect and that in fact my purchase is rated significantly higher than some of the others.

In hindsight, based on a combination of the features I was looking for and the price,  I think I would still have decided on this camera even if I had read the review before I bought it (although I am still waiting for the "cash-back"!)

1 comment:

  1. You're in fact in luck with the spare battery. I have tried to get a cheaper backup for my Nikon, but two generics have failed to work in camera. I suspect that the hologram on the "genuine" article may attract a sensor in the camera body. Everything else (including power rating) is identical and they charge beautifully on the charger...Added to which I lost my charger on a recent trip; I am wondering what would happen if I connected my camera via USB cable to the mains in an emergency.

    ReplyDelete