Thursday 17 October 2013

The Fine Print

I received an offer for a credit card through the mail.  The covering letter pointed out that cardholders were entitled to "a domestic complimentary return flight every year".   It went on to say "....there are no hidden fees or charges.  If the seat is available, you can book it." 

But when is a seat "available"?    Note the careful language:  it doesn't state "...if there's a seat on the plane"!    I only fully appreciated this aspect when I read the (very) fine print, which some way into a very dense block of text contained words to the effect that the seats are "restricted to selected classes" and that "some flights may not have any seats available".  In other words, there's a quota.    But obviously that's not the impression that the statement seeks to create.

I then looked for the cost of this card.    It was only set out in the "grey on grey" (hence, very hard to read) slip of paper supposedly complying with the credit disclosure guidelines.

Needless to say, I'm not signing up.  

1 comment:

  1. My bank last year year changed providers from Visa to Master. To induce me they offered me a free upgrade to platinum. Although changing cards is a pain because of regular direct debits an interview with the bank convinced me when they promised me the the old gold rate for life of the new card. Of course I don't have a bank piece of paper to that effect, but they kept their oral word this year.

    ReplyDelete