Friday 18 October 2013

Insurance

We've got a number of insurance policies. For historical reasons, our home buildings and contents policies are separate.   Then there are cars and a couple of others.

In recent times, I have taken to obtaining an on-line quote every time an insurance renewal notice arrives.    I haven't kept all the details, but my estimation is that on over 75% of cases, it has been cheaper to change insurers instead of paying the premium asked for the renewal.   I realise that this is "churn", and if the difference was minor, I wouldn't do it (in the hope that if I make a claim, my "loyalty" will count for something) - but often the difference is significant (over $100 or more).

I guess this is all about the operation of the free market, but it does seem to me that anyone without internet access  is at a disadvantage.  I also wonder why insurers seem to prefer new business to renewals.     And I don't like to think how things would work if a person had a bad claims history.



2 comments:

  1. Are you comparing apples and pears? I've found quite a difference when you read the fine print with online quotes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are your no no claim "discounts" portable? What about the increasing "discount" for years of RACV membership?

    ReplyDelete